Tuesday 13 January 2015

Introductions...

Hi!

So I thought that it was time to give a little bit of background and context to Covet, to explain a bit more about what it is and why it is...



At the moment, Covet is just me... Mariel, although there are select pieces on the website that are made by other artists and designers, the site and brand is run by me.

Inspired by the wealth of creativity and productivity of the independent artists and makers around me, I wanted to create a place where people can look at and buy pieces for every aspect of their home - for comfort, beauty and unique styling. Being based at Islington Mill in Salford means that I am surrounded by people whose work I genuinely want to fill my home with, and more specifically, the way that their aesthetics all work together is very important to me. I asked illustrators Aliyah Hussain and John Powell-Jones, textile printer and upholsterer StudioUp, framer Manchester Framing Company, and concrete fixtures maker Constructions by CSH, if they would be involved from the launch, and luckily they all loved the idea! I felt like my home ware pieces and their art work and furniture would go so perfectly well together to style a home, that Covet seemed to come together quite organically.

As for me, I have a background in 3D textiles, prop making, still life styling and costume, and the need for hand made processes in my work is incredibly strong. Recently I have been drawn to a lot of Melbourne based makers and designers, and it has unleashed a use of colour within my practice that I thought had died long ago. Creating unique textiles for the home feels like a really great place to explore texture and colour together, as it gives personality and warmth to the space in your life that is the most personal to you.

For the first Covet collection, I have started from scratch with just white fabric, dying and hand painting all of my fabric, and hand making all of the trims. I really love very textural and intriguing pieces, and I also place a high importance in the skills of craft and the hand made. Because of this, it is my intention that Covet will always have this tactility and care within the pieces and the designers that are chosen for the site too.



So. Our manifesto.
The most important things about Covet, that make it what it is.
  • Curating textile products, interior design and artwork together - Covet helps you style your home, not just furnish it.
  • Concentrating on sumptuous texture and intriguing designs.
  • Focusing on the value and importance of craft and the hand made.
  • Supporting and promoting the work of inventive independent makers and designers. 


So now, go and visit our website, where you will find illustrations, hand made frames, bespoke cushions, figurines, hand knitted throws, concrete light fittings and copper framed seating all sitting alongside one another, complementing each other.

You can also follow us on instagram, Facebook and Twitter.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

We are currently looking for stockists, so if you would like to stock our products, please get in touch!